Tuesday, May 12, 2009

What a Surprise

I have had many Mothers Days that tears will spilled. For different reasons of course. One year my kids were terrible, another I thought I was a horrible mother, one year expected too much, one year I was so homesick for my own Mom, another Sad I didn't treat my mother better, the list goes on. Needless to say I've never been a big fan of Mothers Day. Although I tried not to pay any attention to it, it's almost impossible when every other commercial on the TV is Pro Flowers advertising their mother day specials.

As I thought about what I really wanted for Mothers Day I realized that everything I truly want, only I can do. The things I want most might sound crazy to some, but it's simple things. Having a peaceful home ( so learning to not yell) , spending more time doing a few things for me, (scrapbooking, planting a garden, taking pictures and listening to music while I clean) cooking what I like to cook (not what my kids will eat), teaching my children to not be so selfish and treat me with respect. These are not necessarily "Mothers Day Gifts", but it's what I want.

So I started. On Saturday we didn't have to many activities, (which is rare) so I spent the entire morning cleaning my house (to music). Second I decided that it was time to tackle the front walk way. (We have a really long walkway that leads to the front door. Since we've lived here it's been frozen, or full of weeds.) I planned out how I wanted to plant it and spend the afternoon pulling weeds. Afterwards I decided to take my kids to lunch and talk to them about the changes that mom was going to be making and how I needed them to help me make those changes. Afterwards we went to about 3 stores for me to look at plants. Afterwards I came home, evaluated my planting space and went back and got everything I needed for planting.

When I got home the kids started saying funny things to me like "Mom you stink, maybe you should take a shower", "Hey mom, what ever you do, don't go in my closet", "Mom maybe you should go snuggle on your bed"....well It was so fun seeing their excitement that I didn't do anything. Pretty soon they were so anxious that Sissy said "Go take a shower, but don't step on your present...." The surprise was that every little hint had a bouquet of flowers....by the time I was finished I had 6 different bouquets! Seriously I was so shocked.

The kids were so exited to give me their different flowers, and once I smelled Taylor's and saw how "bootiful" there were, she told me that since they were pink they had to go in her room.


To my shear surprise I received 3 more bouquets of flowers by the day was over by other sweet friends......I'm so blessed! I don't even think I'll get this many flowers when I die....seriously so blessed!
So....here it is some of my mothers day's best moments. Having a home full of fresh flowers, but even more watching my children so excited to give them to me. Listening to my children sing "Mother I love you" in sacrament meeting, taking a walk all by myself, planting my walk way, Talking to my own mother for the first time this week where she actually sounded happy (she's in really rough condition), talking to many old friends, going to the relief society luncheon, (awesome idea for anyone in RS - instead of a lesson they had a light luncheon and social during Mothers Day and had the men do Primary & YW, it's was such a nice break). But the best part of the day came at night when I had all three kids in bed with me and realized they make me so happy. My children are everything to me and I'm so lucky to be a Mom. Don't get me wrong, I think that everyday - but there are days that I love them more when they are asleep. (And all you Mothers know exactly what I mean) But what sweet day for me, to be reminded how much happiness and joy actually comes from being a Mother and for one of the first times in my life....LOVE Mothers Day!

6 comments:

Travis and Nikki said...

Kim I haven't had a chance to catch up with what has been going on in your family. Kylie was here on Sunday and I saw her looking at your blog. I will have to read the rest later. But I did have a chance to read your mother's day post. I loved it. Happy late mother's day to a wonderful mother. WE love you love us.

MaryAnn said...

Glad to hear that you had a good Mother's day. It has never been my favorite, either, and I generally just try to ignore it!

Cheryl said...

Glad you had a wonderful day. How's that bruise treating you?

Tara said...

oh how sweet! glad your mother's day turned out better than expected! i've decided that's what my problem is, i expect way too much but don't share those expectations with anyone else... i like how you took your kids to lunch and explained what you were wanting to change. great idea, i need to implement that too! you are a never-ending amazing woman who does so much more for everyone else! you deserve all those lovely flowers plus more!

Shell in your Pocket said...

What beautiful flowers!
sandy toe

Sarah said...

super duper!!! LOVE that post! I'm glad someone enjoyed their Mother's Day!!