Saturday, February 6, 2010

Hey Ya'll

Well Wes & I were lucky enough to spend last week in San Antonio Texas. We had a great time, there's something about Texas, but I'm not sure how to explain it. The service we had at the restaurants, our hotel and just while we were shopping was outstanding, impeccable. We were treated like royalty, it must have been the Texas hospitality, but it was lovely. I have never been called Ma'am so many times in my life and every time we entered a restaurant, shop, exhibit the first questions was "How Ya'll doin?"
I loved the architecture, and all of the old buildings and landmarks.
There is a lot of history in San Antonio.


Texas was originally established by Spain, and this church reminded me my mission and the little town Plazas with their churches. (By the way Mission Comps, they even had the nuns wondering around, pigeons, and old men in the plaza playing chess, I totally felt like I was back in the islands, just needed my Libro de Mormon!)

San Antonio is famous for it's Riverwalk. It is very unique, all through downtown there is a river. You take Taxi's on the river to get to the different venue's. You can also walk for hours exploring the different shops, but the best part is the FOOD. It is divine, really divine!
You can also take tour cruises, which Wes & I did, and enjoyed. The next picture is what it looks like going down the river, the following picture is one I asked someone to take. (Wes absolutely hates when I ask people to do that, hence the fake smile.)


I have been married to Wes for Almost 12 years, and Boot shopping with him, has almost consumed 11.3 years. He is so funny about his boots! However, he splurged and bought a pair of "Lucchese's". They are custom, handmade, pricey, Cowboy boots, and they are Fancy!!! He walked around in the store for hours (OK - Hour) trying on the different styles. Texans know their boots because everywhere Wes wore them, all everyone said was...."Nice Boots!"

We had to visit the Alamo, we actually went to a IMax movie next door to learn in depth about the history. It is a very sad story that I believe helped shape the future of our nation. It's always amazing to me the price people paid for the freedom of our country. It's a blessing so unnoticed at times.



One of my favorite places to visit was the San Antonio Missions.

You have to know the history of the "Missions" to appreciate them. This mission was actually built in the early 1700's, fifty families were brought over from "The Canary Islands" (now you will understand why I so interested, that's where I served my mission, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the people from the islands.) I also thought it was interesting they brought the islanders to start these missions to develop peace with the Indians. They were actually the first residents of Texas, and fought to preserve the Alamo. I love the people in the islands, and was so intrigued of their history in our country, and the role they played in our fight for freedom.

This church is the oldest Church in the United States, built by the islanders in the early 1700's.

In down town there is "Las Villatas" a group of shops dedicated to the early settlers, but really it is just stuff brought up from Mexico. (I did get some great deals on souvenirs for my kids.)

Now let's talk about the Food. I don't even what to comprehend how much I consumed on this trip but we ate at some of the fanciest restaurants, thanks to the clients of the Cattle Company. Bohanans, Ruth Chris, Flemmings, Lowry's Chart House (It was in one of those tall buildings, like the stratosphere, and it circled around with the view of San Antonio.)
But my favorite....my serious favorite....the one I am still dreaming about, was this tiny little old Victorian restaurant that was an original flour mill.
We loved it so much, we kept going back.

Some girls love chocolate, some flowers, but for me it's Bread. Muffins, donuts, croissants, biscuits, Cinnamon rolls....I am a sucker!!!! This place had the most, and I mean most, fabulous breads, rolls, biscuits, that I do not think I can possible find better. The breakfast was honestly one of the most favorite meals I have ever eaten...IN MY LIFE!
It makes me homesick just thinking about it.

Every morning I had more and more items to take home with me!
That place is literally what I call "Paradise".

We are so lucky for Wes's job that allows us to do all these fun things, I never knew a cattle conference could be so fun. I really liked Texas, and the Gunther House Bakery, but mostly it was just fun to be together. We need it, I think every marriage needs it, for us it's just the time together to laugh, talk, relax (Yes, Wes & I have a tradition, we get massages every time we take a trip - yes, even my stubborn cowboy husband bears it all for a massage.) It rejuvenates us, were more patient with each other, and remember how easy it is to be in love. The sad part is, I'm all ready for the next one!

3 comments:

Nicole B. said...

Ok, I am super jealous!!! I have been wanting to go to San Antonio for a while now and for some reason I can not convince Jason. If there is anyway you could knock some sense in to him, it would be much appreciated. Looks like you guys had a wonderful time.

MaryAnn said...

I love San Antonio. I have an Uncle and Aunt that live there and we went there for a family reunion when I was 16. I loved the Alamo, the missions and the River Walk. It is an amazing city and I would love to go back! Looks like you guys had a great time!

Tonya said...

I am so glad you guys got away. How fun!! Tom and I have been wanting to go to SAn Antonio forever. We could use a getaway. I miss ya tons. I had my kids pics done today, wish you were here. My friend did them, haven't seen them but hope they turn out. I am so tired. Wish you were closer. Looks like a great trip.