Saturday, January 9, 2010

Obsessive

I have son, who is borderline obsessive about Football. I'm happy that he has something in life that he loves. I wish it was reading or cleaning his room, but I'm happy he watches the NFL Network instead of Sponge Bob and I'm glad that he's always getting lots of exercise instead of playing video games. However I recently went down stairs opened up the closet underneath the stairs and this is what I found.
"A Football Fort"

All of the walls are covered in Football cards, organized by position, offense, defense etc, he has a special little Colts section with his gloves, hats and pads nailed to the wall. At first, I was like what is going on here, and then I stopped myself and realized how much time effort and thought he put into this. Last night he actually slept inside with one of his buddies.


His room is also decorated with NFL memorabilia, he wanted some FatHeads for Christmas. (These giant wall hangings), once he found out how much each cost he went to the NLF website and made his own wall hangings, they are posted all over his room. He is no artist, literally he is no artist, but they are cute.
Everyday when I pick him up from school I'll ask the normal question - how was school. Not once, and I mean once have I ever heard about what he actually might have learned at school. What I do get is a 15 minute recap of every play at recess, who was on his team and what plays he called and why he called them. Tye has an incredible memory for things, well things that are important to him.

He loves it and as a parent all I can do is support him. I have a huge feeling I am going to spend many hours hauling him to practice and many more hours watching him play, but such are the joys on my life!

For how tough, indepent and strong willed this 9 years is, it's also amazing that on his christmas list was the Taylor Swift CD, which Santa so kindly brought. Now as he's downstairs hanging out in his "Football Fort" Keith Urban got benched and Taylor Swift is a roarin!


3 comments:

Audra said...

What an awesome kid! Too many talented kids in this family- I think I got left out!

Connie and Joe said...

So cute! I really think you have a talented kid on your hands and it wouldn't surprise me to be seeing him on TV one day. Maybe he will make his mom and dad real comfy someday too. The only problem I see is keeping the girls away from him, that might be his downfall as he is just way too good looking.

Karry said...

Yes, Tye has many talents, but drawing lions is not one of them. That picture makes me laugh.