Sunday, April 19, 2009

Turning 35!

I have to admit, I wasn't really excited, or looking forward to my birthday this year. Usually birthdays are just another day but I just didn't like the sound of 35. I swear I'm still 23 1\2 but every time I look in the mirror I'm constantly reminded that I'm not. I was taking a bath and started reading the label on my shower gel and loved what it said....

Philosophy: How you climb up the mountain is just as important as how you get down the mountain. and so, it is with life, which for many of us becomes one big gigantic test followed by one big gigantic lesson. in the end, it all comes down to one word, grace. It's how you accept winning and losing, good luck and bad luck, the darkness, the light, the good and the bad.

All I can say, is that I've had a lot of both. I'm 35. I've made a lot of mistakes in my life, but I've also made a lot of good decisions. I've won some, I've lost some. I've been hurt, I've hurt others. I've been so happy and at other moments so sad. At times I've wanted to give up, other times I felt I could conquer the world. I've really been all across the board and decided it's called life.

I do know 35 things......

1. The gospel is true, and I'm so blessed to have a true testimony. It's one of my greatest possessions.

2. My family is my true happiness.

3. On the flip side, being a Wife and Mother is 10,000 times harder than I ever imagined.

4. I have come to measure my success is moments, and I am still "Realizing the Moments", and accepting them.

5. I love to laugh, and since my kids should probably live at the zoo the majority of the time, I laugh often.

6. The things I thought I wanted in life are really not the things that make me happy.

7. I don't know when I learned how to yell, but I find myself yelling all the time and wish I could break that habit (maybe it goes back to the fact that my kids belong in the zoo!!!!)

8. I cry, and sometimes it's the best medicine.

9. I love having family prayer.

10. I was so blessed to be raised by my parents, and realize it more and more each day.

11. I need sunshine and warm weather, and miss it desperately.

12. I love movies that make me want to be better.

13. I need my sister.

14. Sometimes I am stronger than I think I am, other times I'm mad at myself for being so weak.

15. Listening to my children fight seriously gives me high blood pressure.

16. True friends are few and far between.

17. I hate shaving my legs, I'm a big fan of waxing. (Thank you Karen Haggard!!)

18. "Happily ever after" is a choice.

19. I have to have a clean house, I'm not even sure why, I'm just aggravated when my house is a mess and why I let stupid obsessions like this keep me from things that are really important bug me even more.

20. Some of my favorite memories are hanging out with my cousins & laughing about our family. I think of my cousins more like sisters than cousins, and you would laugh too if you knew certain members of our family.

21. You can't have Faith with Fear. You must choose.

22. Feeling loved is better than you can imagine. Being charitable is underrated.

22. It's ok to admit when your wrong, and ask for forgiveness.

23. I think I have the only kids on earth that pretend their horses or pretend their riding their horses. Imagination is a gift.

24. I express my love with gifts,however I get very uncomfortable receiving them.

25. I need to cook more and go out to eat less.

26. I'm better at giving advice than following it....(It's something I would like to change.)

27. I have to be busy, I can't stand to not have anything to do. I also enjoy working, feeling smart once in a while, but often feel guilty doing it. It's hard to find a balance.

28. Once I find something I like, I stick with it and rarely change.

29. I love to drive places my myself. 1. To have have total silence or 2. To rock out....depending on the day 3. Just to have a moment to dream, I still do that.

30. I hear "Mom" at least 35 times times a day, and wouldn't change it.

31. I like setting the table for dinner, especially when we have friends over or holidays. I like fancy table settings, set with fresh flowers and love entertaining. (minus the clean up)

32. My husband is my best friend, and still can't believe he's mine.

33. That sometimes my life stinks, sometimes I have crappy days, sometimes everything goes wrong and that's part of the process. I have no words of wisdom, sometimes it just sucks!

34. I've learned that holding on too tightly to the past isn't a good thing.

35. Being "35" is really no big deal . I think everyone has things about their life that they wish they could go back and change and do differently. I also think it's fine to admit that. Right now, I am who I am and it's ok, what matters most is that I'm happy. I'm still trying to become the person I want to be, but I think I'll be trying for years, I'm not even sure if I'll ever get there.....I'm sure not giving up at 35......maybe 36!!!!!

One thing is for sure, it's the smallest things in life that mean the most. To everyone who sent me Birthday wishes, I love you, I thank you, and it's you who make my life as great as it is.

PS..... Thank you Mary Jane for giving me this Idea!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it! You are fantastic! :) Kinda therapeutic to write it all down, isn't it? Happy Birthday!!!!

Kris said...

I love other posts when people actually take the time to process their life and what they have. We are so fortunate to have the things we do have and it sounds like you're leading a wonderfully blessed life!
I laughed about the waxing legs. I let Paul try to wax my legs years ago and I about killed him so I've been terrified ever since. Getting my eyebrows done is pure torture for me.
You're such a neat person and I'm so happy that we've reconnected thanks to the blog. It's amazing to look back at how we've been friends and I'm so grateful that we were raised in the 'hood together and experienced life as teeny bopper youths.
Have a great birthday week (I celebrate all week) and do something special for yourself. You deserve it!

Lindsey said...

happy belated birthday!!! Love ya!

Karry said...

Well I think having Miley Cyrus on your playlist proves you’re not as old as your age. And I’m grateful you’re not perfect yet because that would be really annoying. Happy 35th Kim. I love you.