Monday, September 14, 2009

Camp Grounds

I like camping, I always have. I'm not a go go getter, but I can manage the basics. When I was trying to figure out what we were going to to for Labor Day I asked Wes if there was something he wanted to do....and as you assume, Camping it was. I googled a bunch of different National Forest Parks, but wanted something a little more exciting...but not too far away. I came across this camping place that had a cabin that sleeps six on a lake. The price was fabulous so I jumped on board. I spent all day long getting ready packing ice chests, sleeping bags...everything you need at about 6:00 Friday night we pull out.

An hour later we end up at the Pine Grove Campground.....Wes looked at me and said. You never once said we were camping at a campground. I said, "well were staying in the cabin, and it's on the lake...all of these people are obviously in campers" He said "I hate campgrounds...camping in a campground is not camping," I said, well Sorry, I wanted access to a bathroom and shower and plus you knew we were staying in a cabin." He said, " I thought we were staying in a cabin by ourselves, you didn't tell me we were camping with Billy and the rest of the Wisconsin Rednecks! .....He was soooooo livid he didn't talk to me for an hour! We found our little cabin, I took the kids around, showed them the lake, petting zoo, playground, park area and arcade rooms and they were thrilled. Wes slowly warmed up to the situation...but it took a while!

A Picture of our cabin....when we first walked in and looked around the kids started screaming...We are in the olden days, just one little cabin, they slept in the loft and loved it!



And the lake that was behind it...It's not fancy, but for heaven's sakes I it was ok for 4 days!

We ended up spending lots of time fishing....

They had little row boats to rent and the kids loved it....and Wes eventually loved it too as soon as the small bass fish starting biting!

The kids kept catching these little 3 inch blue gills...and thought it was the coolest thing ever! I was worried that they were going to want to keep them, but luckily they just kept throwing them back in and catching them over and over...



On Saturday two of our friends and their families joined us....and all I could do was laugh when I saw them. This campground had a culture all of it's own, but they were good sports! We spent the day on the beach letting the kids swim and play in the sand....and yes, that is Wes in his cowboy boots on the beach!



We did some of this......

and a lot of this...


and I can honestly say that when we got home, every singe thing we owned smelt like campfires!

At night, the campground had a Dance (that I will leave at that, as I'm sure you can imagine) But the next night they had a movie in the park and that was fun, and Wes Finally broke down and gave the kids some money for the arcade room.

I've decided these corny little adventures that I take my family on are so much fun. I laugh out loud at some of the things that I get myself involved in, but that's what makes life so interesting, and I'll never change!

Below is a full slide show of all the fun!



6 comments:

MaryAnn said...

Looks like a fun weekend! I agree with you - it is nice to have access to a bathroom and a shower when you are camping and well worth putting up with campgrounds for.

Erin said...

Looks like my kind of camping!!! Remember the time we went camping together and Tate threw the cheez whiz can in the fire!!! And James melted the boat with the dutch oven ashes! You always need a little adventure!

Kimberly Davis said...

That camping trip was seriously the best....the whole cheese wiz, I still can't stop laughing, and remember James's swimsuit he had to borrow from your Dad...I laugh everytime I see those pictures!! How's St. George???

Karry said...

If I were there, we soooo would have cut a rug on the dance floor!

Travis and Nikki said...

You and Travis are city folk for sure. I had to teach Travis what camping really was too. Ya know squatting and no one else around. At first when I started to read your post and you said you loved to camp I was shocked...then I found out you had a toilet and a bed and a shower then I realized:)That sounds like lots of fun. I can't wait to come see you guys. Hey how about Kauai?

MyrLynn said...

All your adventures make me miss "real life" I can't wait till my family is back together again and we can go on little outings. In case you don't have it, hillspuds.blogspot.com. We LOVE "Party in the USA" I actually got to read your blog with no interuptions. They were are singing and dancing!